A while back, I whipped up an unusual version of my Bananas Foster by substituting pineapple for bananas. And…yum! Clean plates again. Er, possibly licked clean 🙂
1 fresh whole pineapple, skin removed and cored
4 tbsp unsalted butter
4 tbsp brown sugar
1-1/2 tsp honey
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 cup Craisins
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (pecans would be nice too, maybe better, hmm?)
frozen vanilla yogurt or vanilla ice cream, enough for 4 generous scoops
1) Brush a swirl of olive oil across surface of a large skillet; heat to medium high
2) Cut pineapple into 8-10 rings; place 4 pineapple rings in skillet and cook 1-2 minutes each side until surface brown lightly; remove from skillet and place one ring in center of each of 4 plates
3) Lower skillet heat to medium-low; cut remaining pineapple rings (4-6) into small wedges
4) Add butter to skillet; as it melts, add brown sugar, honey, cinnamon, and ginger; stir to combine; add Craisins, walnuts, and pineapple wedges; stirring constantly, cook 4-5 minutes until pineapple is heated through; remove sauce from heat (leave in skillet to keep warm)
5) Place a generous scoop of frozen vanilla yogurt in center of each pineapple ring; pour sauce over frozen yogurt; serve immediately and let the plate scrapers have at it!
NOTE: This is a “repeat” recipe featured on my original “Kitchen Novelist” blog 05/17/12.