No syrup for these tasty slices of french toast, although. . . Nah. Senior, Junior, Junior Too–not to mention the cook–liked this meal in all it’s non-syrup glory. Give it a try!
3/4 cup milk
2 tbsp butter, divided
8 slices bread (I used country oatmeal, but sourdough…oh, that would be really good)
4 oz goat cheese (or cream cheese), softened (about 20 seconds in microwave)
1 large tomato, sliced thin
8 slices bacon (I used turkey bacon), fried to slightly crisp
8 slices thin deli ham
1 cup spinach, stems removed
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees
2) In shallow bowl, beat eggs, milk, and pinch of salt and pepper
3) In large skillet (big enough to accommodate 4 slices of bread at a time) melt 1 tbsp butter (reserve 1 tbsp for second batch) over medium heat
4) Lightly dip 4 slices of bread in egg mixture, coating both sides; transfer to skillet and cook 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown; transfer from skillet to oven-safe plate and keep warm in oven while cooking 4 remaining pieces of french toast in reserved 1 tbsp butter
5) Assemble each sandwich as follows: 1 slice french toast spread with goat cheese, tomato, bacon, ham, spinach, 1 slice french toast; then feast!
Heartily serves: 4