Junior likes breakfast casseroles. Junior likes sausage gravy. Mom decided to combine the two and we are talking tasty! Though some breakfast casseroles can be on the dry side, not this one. The hot sausage gravy-soaked bread cubes keep the casserole moist and make it extra yum.
4 sausage patties
2 tbsp flour
3-3/4 cups milk, divided
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
4 cups cubed french bread
10 large eggs
3/4 cups grated cheese (I used triple cheddar blend)
1) Preheat oven to 375 degrees; lightly oil 9×13″ baking dish
2) To large skillet over medium-high heat, add sausage patties and cook 2-3 minutes each side until cooked through; remove patties from skillet, finely chop, and set aside
3) To rendered fat in skillet (you should have about 2 tbsp; if not, add a bit of oil) over medium heat, add flour and whisk continuously until well combined; gradually whisk in 3 cups of milk (reserving 3/4 cup) and continue whisking and breaking up lumps until mixture is smooth and thick; stir in salt, black pepper, and chopped sausage; remove from heat
4) Spread bread cubes over bottom of baking dish and pour sausage gravy over them; let soak 10 minutes
5) Meanwhile, beat eggs and reserved 3/4 cup milk in large bowl; pour egg mixture over sausage gravy-soaked bread cubes and bake in oven 45-50 minutes until just done in center; sprinkle cheese over top and cook additional 2-3 minutes until cheese melts; enjoy!